Thursday, October 11, 2012

Treasures from the Trail, Part 4 - The Still Waters

As we journeyed further after lunch, well-rested and revitalized, we came upon a rich-in-color lake.  If Brent and I were going to make camp before nightfall, we could not stop at every breathtaking site, so it was essential that this lovely lake be bypassed.  Walking by it, I kept glancing over my shoulder through the trees to see the rich blue-green color, to take in its still beauty.  Excitedly I yelled ahead to my husband, "Jesus is leading us beside the still waters!"   I could only snap a couple of pictures then carry the scene in my mind while the hike continued.

I reflected upon what is soul-restoring about still waters.  "He leads me beside still waters.  He restores my soul."  First, I wonder, when did I start taking so lightly how profound it is that the maker of the universe would lead me, that the One who placed each star where it belongs has a place for me, that He who led the Israelites and Moses across the Red Sea takes me by the hand and shows me the way to go?  This is no small thing, I realized, soaking in the truth that  here and now, He has led me to this place.

I know this has implications for shepherds and sheep, but I later jotted down what I noticed as Jesus walked me by the still waters.  What is the value of His doing so?  What about still waters grants me the restoration my soul so desperately needs?  Here is what I came up with that is offered to me at the waterside:

Reflection - The value and necessity of my reflecting on what God has done, to ponder what He is doing, to "see again" His showing Himself to me.

Depth - To look with Him under the surface of me beyond what is obvious.  His spirit at work deep inside me, changing me, loving me.

Color - Rich, rich blue-greens that sing of healing and beauty and life.

Serenity - I feel peaceful and quiet when I gaze on the placid waters.  My mind becomes unoccupied  with the worry that tries to reside there.

Settling - Nothing is moving nor rustling about.  Something in this gives me hope that Christ can calm my rushing heart.

Refreshment - Coolness, cleanliness, moisture of living water quenching my drenched spirit.

Responsiveness - I realize that if I were to throw a rock into this still water, an impact would be made, a rippling would occur.  I long to still my heart so that it is in a place to respond to God's initiations.  A stone thrown in a rushing river would hardly be noticed.  Where in my life is God trying to get my attention?  A still heart notices more than a frantic heart.

'Tis a profound thing to be led.

'Tis even more profound that I, a wandering, often directionless sheep, am learning to follow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this reflection on still waters. So awesome. It is amazing that God, the one who led Moses, wants to lead us, those who call Him Abba, Father. Blows my mind away!

Diane said...

Me too, Jasmine! I think He loves blowing us away like that with His care and awesomeness!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Diane :) Still waters so desperately needed; and so beautifully described. That blue/green color always draws me...such an amazing color! I too am learning that His love is very deep, and not just for others but for me. Love you Di! Paula

Tammi said...

Once again, so very thought provoking. I can't wait to experience Zion with you! <3

Anonymous said...

That was so beautiful. In the depth of remembering my childhood, I painted a picture of the 23rd Psalm, where a very thin woman was putting her hand in still waters, because she was too broken and tired to do anything else. I understand the peace of still waters and the restoration it offers to us. It is our place to lie our heads and listen, to allow God to work on our broke parts, it is the place we can be still and rest in His loving arms. What you wrote was very beautiful, and, like the rest of your blogs, I can relate to it as well.
Carla