Saturday, March 31, 2018

Leaning In

I tilt. Sometimes in pictures it looks as though I am purposefully tilting my head to show I care or am leaning in towards a person. I just went on a trip to Israel without my husband, who normally would be next to me in pictures, so when I saw pictures of me alone, I was again reminded of how crooked I am.

Wounding words from a friend crossed my mind in the middle of the night this week more than once. She was more of an acquaintance, I suppose, and it was decades ago. "Every time I see you, I want to jerk you to the side to straighten you out," she said, as I made my way to a picnic table in our church's nursery playground area. Her words startled me, the strength of them, the emotion in them.

I explained to her I have scoliosis and had surgery to correct it but that the spinal curve was severe and could only be straightened so much. I spoke with a wobbly voice. I spoke apologetically for apparently causing her so much distress each time she looked at me. My head knew she was inappropriate, but my heart once again felt I was less than OK.

I think I am thinking about this because there are situations and people I would like to, with one swift movement, instantly straighten out, situations and people that aren't what I think they should be. And maybe they are crooked and wrong and less than perfect and not OK.

I just know when I am living in a place of "look how wrong I am," I am also living in a place of "look how wrong you are." Faults in myself and others become a source of irritation. But when I am living in a place of "look how loved I am," I am also living in a place of "look how loved you are."

And that's a better place, a place I want to live from,
a place I want to lean into.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You are such a beautiful soul❤️

Unknown said...

I love your words...

Paula said...

Oh my lovely sister. How beautiful you are inside and out. True words!

Tammi said...

Love this and you! You are beautiful and amazing!

Executive Director, Pomona New Community said...

Thank you, Diane. I need to think about this long and often!

Nena A. said...

How funny...I never even noticed you lean. If you do, I love that because to me it would like you are interested in the person you are leaning towards. Love the way your thoughts are written. They are so beautiful and so YOU. Thank you!

Unknown said...

You are beautiful. Thank you for this.