Friday, January 2, 2015

Delighted to Give - About Taylor Swift (and God)

Today I viewed a YouTube video documenting superstar Taylor Swift's blessing some of her fans with Christmas and Hanukah gifts.   (You can see the video for yourself by clicking on the link below.)  Unbeknownst to any of these on-line followers,  she "followed" them in return.  She learned of their interests and activities and decided to buy presents individually picked out by her with each of these fans in mind.  The shopping, wrapping, packaging and sometimes the delivery were all carried out by Taylor herself.

The video records the obvious joy and thoughtfulness with which Taylor Swift went about her gift-giving.  Those who were recipients of this surprise showed teary, screaming, catch-their-breath glee upon realizing from whom the packages came.   Wow, to think the recording artist about whom you're head over heels would take note of you, research who you are and reach out to give to you is a lot to take in!

Most gifts seemed simple, yet all were well thought out:  a lacy headband, a plastic pouch displaying a picture of someone's kitten, a necklace.  With each delivery came a handwritten note.  "I had so much fun trying to think of things that might make you smile," read one note.  "I wanted to let you know how much you impress me with your giving spirit," read another.  A couple of fans in the video seemed touched that Taylor herself wrote their names.  They seemed to feel loved and known.

This stirred something in me besides the thought of, oh, what a nice person Taylor Swift is (and she does seem so very sweet)!

What if the gifts I receive every day really are from God?  What if he really does notice me and "follow" me?  What if He not only reads my online posts and sees my pictures but is attentive to my every breath?  What if He delights watching me open the gifts He gives each day?  That hot cup of coffee this morning, the scented candle I lit, the warmth I felt while coming inside from the cold, the strong hug from my husband, the joy of reflection while I took ornaments off our Christmas tree.  He even gave me the gift of watching the video about Taylor Swift today.  I sense He enjoyed watching me enjoy it, hoping I'd see something of Him in the spirit of the story.

As huge, big God gives such presents, He stretches His arms out, hands filled with treasures with which to bless me.  I receive the blessings.  As I take yet another gift from His hand, His palm is revealed. 

And I gasp in glee as I notice my name written there.


Diane Mann, 2014

Click on the link below to view the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3yyF31jbKo

1 comment:

Tammi said...

So very beautiful. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Enjoy each of God's gifts to you. Love you, Tammi