Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A Good Work

Each week my friend Mary comes faithfully to my house to help me organize my life. Sometimes we just freshen up the environment, put things back where they belong and just make my home a more nurturing place for me and my loved ones. Other times we attack projects -- wall painting, picture hanging, window coverings. One very gratifying aspect about my time with Mary is that she loves to see a work finished to completion. About three-fourths of the way through laying floor tiles in my bathroom, when we discovered half the tiles we had purchased did not match the other half, I was sure the task would have to be put off until the next week. But no. We drove over to Lowe's, exchanged the tiles and plodded through the rest of the job. Surely enough, when she left, the floor was completed.

As I spent time with God today just pouring my filled-with-concerns heart out to Him, He gently brought to mind this part of His word: "He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it until the day of Christ Jesus." I spent time savoring and absorbing each aspect of this much-needed and precious promise. Fully capable, putting the earth into orbit, holding all things together God Himself began a project right here in me, in my life! He will not fail to finish all that He began in me. I am the work of His hands, and He does not walk away from what He starts.

Oh, God, Thank You for this reminder that it is always You at work in me. I'm not my own project, thankfully, but Yours! You are everything I'm not -- consistent, faithful, loving, completely true and right and, of course, all-knowing. You do not give up on me and see me as a hopeless cause. Have your perfect, complete way with me, my Father.

No comments: