Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Scammed

My son and his wife recently moved into a new apartment, and I was surprised at the cost of rent. Before they moved, I did some research just to see if I could find them a fantastic deal. They actually did fine on their own! But I responded to an an ad from Craigslist for a lovely townhome advertised at $800 a month. A "pastor" from San Dimas represented himself as one who had been called to the mission field in Africa, was very grateful for the chance to serve overseas, and wanted to rent his property to a Christian family who would take good care of it.

I am still surprised that it took me some time to figure out he was not being truthful. I Googled the address he finally gave to me (along with professional photos of the property he provided) and found the very property offered for rent from a reputable company at double the price he was asking. He wanted me to give him first and last month's rent, which would have totaled $1600.

Here is a copy of our last exchange after I found out I was being deceived. I felt God gave me the words to say to him. My pastor is always emphasizing that God is a perfect balance of love and justice, and I pray that came across to the man who tried to deceive me. I sense it did. Forgive his expletives.

(My e-mail to the man who represented himself as Rev. Drotman)

Apparently the home you claim to own is owned by someone else and is being rented out at the rate of $1600 a month.

I'm so thankful truly to God for allowing me to recognize your lies before I told my son and daughter-in-law about the property and before I gave you $1600! Wow. I wonder what you think of Americans. Do you think $1600 is nothing? That would be more than a month of my income that I would give to you hoping for a rental property, and I would receive nothing. You would then have $1600 that you had to lie and cheat to obtain. Also my son and his wife would have been so excited, only to be disappointed right when they were having their baby. They would have given up their other apartment and been left w/out a place to live. Sin always affects more than just one person.

I contacted the FBI, who told me to contact my local police. We have been unable to talk, and I realize there is not much they can do to you for breaking our laws because you are neither in nor a citizen of this country.

I notified the owner of the website that you stole the information from. And I will notify Craigslist as well.

Bottom line is that I do not know whether there will be any consequences to you for being found out.

Please keep reading, as I need to say this: While I am angry and surprised that someone would do what you have attempted to do here, I have concern for you as well. Is there not an honest way to make a living in your country? Do you really believe in God? He will take care of your needs if you trust Him to do so. He offers so much forgiveness and cleansing. He has had to forgive me of much in my life. He restores me and helps me to walk in ways that are pleasing to Him. I don't know where you got all the right words about God and His mercy, but if you have any knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ, His Spirit will convict you in your heart, forgive you if you confess, and make you whole! Maybe He loves you so much that He allowed you to get caught to steer you out of living your life like this.

More than wanting to see you punished, I want to see you receive God's forgiveness.

Please write if you have any questions or any way I can pray for you.

As of now, no police have your phone number or your e-mail address. I wanted to nail you when I saw you were misleading me, but I believe God wants me to tell you the truth about Him, about how right and true and just He is but also about His huge mercy and love.

Diane Mann

HERE IS HIS RESPONSE TO ME:

Hello Diane,

Thanks for your message. At this point, i guess i have to tell you what the truth is. Life here is so hard for us and we are looking for away to sort ourself out. A friend of mine initiate me to this s**t.......... i beg you for your forgiveness and i want you to help me to pray to God for forgiveness. I'm a student and a citizen of Nigeria. My real name is Oluwaseun. I only some amount of money to pay my bills and school fees. I only need help and no one is ready to help. And i went to a friend and he promise to help me. He posted the craigslist ad and the stuff. At this point, i promise you that i will quit this s**t. Thanks for your time and care. I hope to read from you soonest.


Thanks.

Oluwaseun.

No comments: