Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Temple

Zion National Park
Hats off
Heads bowed
Lifted
Then lowered again
Hands folded
Creator bids
We enter
Are seated
Settled
Ushered to the arena
Of this place
This leaf-decorated
Holy space
My heart expands
From shoulder
To shoulder
It can hold no more
Green, gold -- blazing gold --
Orange
And that indescribable red
Bright, warm
Deep, rich beauty
Dizzying, dazzling loveliness
Mangling me
In a way that is really good
Rearranging me
Can I look upon You
God of all, God of me
And ever be the same?
I think not
So I sit
And gaze at Your works
You'll forgive me
Won't you
If I must look away
For a moment
To catch my breath
Then look upon Your splendor
Once again?
And if this pen,
My hand, my mind
Stop working in unison
To express
My utter adoration
It's because we don't
Know what else
To say
So will quietly
Rest
And simply
Bow.

Diane Mann, 2012

No comments: